2.28.2010

Content and content.

I read a lot of blogs. They run the gamut, between a frugal guy and an Indian guy trying to teach people how to be rich. From a guy who writes about just about anything to a lady who talks about couponing. Career advice here and here. Bicycle riding in Alaska. Nurse follies and stories that make me laugh and wish that when I have to go to the hospital, I get this chick. Old stories about Russia and certain billboards in KC thanks to Meesha. Dan and his beer. Cara and her wit and sharp tongue. Pom and her Beebs. What do all of these blogs have in common?

Content.

In an age where personal branding is the latest catchphrase, perhaps unbeknownst to them, they all have a personal brand - Logtar is introspective. Jill is a cyclist-turned-mountain-climber at present who takes beautiful landscape pictures. Ramit is an in-your-face guy who takes no prisoners when it comes to teaching people about money. They all have content. When you go to their blog, you know what you're going to get. That's one reason they're all successful bloggers and have an audience.

My last blog had a lot of great content (yes, that's me, tooting my own horn). I started it, intending to keep people who were Stateside up-to-date on my latest adventures while living in Sarajevo. It had a purpose, and others found it and I made some new friends (who are incidentally back in Sarajevo for the time being, and I'm quite green). But as of late, with this new blog, I've hit a bit of a roadblock. What should my content be? What should my personal brand be? What do I want people to think when they think of my blog?

But this goes further than the blog. This personal branding business is affecting my life. I have been in Virginia for two months now, and for two months, I have been out of work. There is a recession going on, I get that. And right now, we're lucky that I'm not forced to work a job I hate just so I have a paycheck (though with the veterinary bills the past two months, a job would have really been nice). There have been some jobs that look interesting to me, so I apply. But one job I applied for had 200 applicants. In a town of 47,000 people where 20,000 are college students, there don't seem to be too many jobs. So I fret a little, but I understood the deal when we moved. But not having a job, while freeing, also makes it difficult to write here - what do I write about? Will a potential employer find me and therefore decide not to hire me because of what or how I write? What do I want people to know about me? What do I want them to think of when they think of me? Should I attempt a freelance sort of business and forget the business world?

This all leads to not feeling content, and not having content. If I can't figure out what my personal brand is on my own blog, can I really get a job, even though I have fantastic skills? Especially when competing with people who have more experience and/or advanced degrees?

I intend to post pictures, but right now, snow is what we've got. It's boring and not crisp. I can't get into the mountains yet to do some exploring. I want to be somewhat personal, but can't figure out where to draw the line. I'm not an expert in any one thing except worrying. So what the hell do I write about? I'm afraid it's just going to have to be random, and you're going to have to bear with me. I feel like I'm still in my winter slumber, just starting to wake up, and I'm getting hungry.

2 comments:

  1. This stuff comes in spurts. Sometimes I got nothing for weeks. It will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, I do think adventure when I read your blog... just thought I would mention that. :)

    ReplyDelete